Monday, 25 July 2016

And then all my hair falls off

"And then all my clothes fall off..."

fig 34: in the best possible taste

Well OK my clothes stayed on but my hair fell off.

I've had the chemo drug Irinotecan before and while they say that hair loss is a possibility it's never been a problem for me before. Sure it thinned a little bit and grew back a bit haphazardly but my nice thick and quite long hair was still there.

Not this time. A couple of days after the Irinotecan infusion my scalp started to feel quite sore, like someone had been tugging at my hair. Soon as I touched it loads of strands just came away in my hand. And over the weekend it got worse, whole clumps start to come out and  by Monday morning I look like a cross between a mangy fox and the guy with the bad comb over in that Hamlet advert

fig 58: unhappiness is a drug called Irinotecan


Yes seriously that bad, I looked awful and I'm still shedding bits of hair everywhere like a moulting dog and I seriously hope these drugs are messing up the cancer as well as they're messing up my follicles.

So drastic times call for extreme measures and so I go into town, find an old fashioned stripey pole barbers shop run by a sixty odd year old guy whose Teasy-Weasy skills begin and end at "number two on the sides and half off the top" and ask him to cut the lot off. Which he does.

Excellent, now I look like a particularly scruffy toilet brush.

However after the purchase of a new razor and a few minutes scraping in the bathroom I now have a nice smooth head. And to be honest I don't think that it looks too bad Sure it's not good and I preferred having hair but it could be worse.

I could have that comb-over.





4 comments:

  1. So...just head hair? Enquiringly minds want to know... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at Lulia, nosy cow.

    If it's any consolation, I used to have a thing for bald, shaven heads. Don't ask how I ended up where I am.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprisingly it is just the head hair, I've even kept my eyebrows. Apparently its to do with what areas of the body get the most blood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asset health work with patients and physicians in various cancer treatment centers in ca and provide effective therapeutic programs that helps to improve their health. Through research and clinical practice we assess the causes and deliver the right treatments.

    ReplyDelete